Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Lumber Pile

I love a lumber pile. I love it for the potential it has. I love it for its heritage. I love it as a medium in which to work with - to create something that was once just a dream into something lasting, usable and beautiful.

I don't see wood as sterile or unliving like some see meat under cellophane. I see it as part of a forest, a survior that overcame impossible odds to reach maturity. During its life it was food, shelter, purified air and water. It may have passed its genentic traits to future generations. Its rings record decades / centuries of rainfall and other disturbance, hidden within until revealed by the sawyer's mill. Crafted it becomes lasting testament of its life. Its soul reflected within the grain.

There is nothing more natural than incorporating wood into a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment